Must be enrolled in an AHIMA accredited educational program pursuing an HIT or HIA degree which leads to the RHIT or RHIA certification.
- B. Eligibility (must have all listed below):
- Must be an active student member of AHIMA.
- TxHIMA membership (AHIMA member designating Texas as your Component State Association)
- Must be a citizen of the United States or hold resident status in the U. S.
- Must complete an essay addressing their financial need to continue education in health information management.
- Must submit current program transcript. If a first semester freshman, a high school transcript must be included.
- Essay (50 points)
Financial Need (50 points)
- Writing style
- Grammar, spelling, punctuation
Steps to be taken by Student to Complete Application Process
- Each applicant must:
Submit items (1) through (6) to the TxHIMA via online submission form. Applications must be submitted by close of business day on April 25th.
- Complete all information on the application form.
- Submit a copy of his/her program transcript (official) or a copy of his/her high school transcript if a first semester freshman.
- Ask two (2) individuals to complete a letter of recommendation. One letter must be from an educational advisor or professor. One of the letters of recommendation must also address perceived financial need of the student and how receiving this scholarship will benefit the student to continue their health information education.
- Write an essay of 350-400 words about personal goals and how the scholarship money will help him/her to reach the goals.
- Enclose one (1) current digital photograph which will be published with the winner's name at the discretion of the Board of Directors. The photograph will not be circulated to the Board of Directors until the recipient has been chosen.
- Sign and date each item on the agreement form.
Selection of the Award Recipient
The above information will be submitted to the Board of Directors of the Texas Health Information Management Association. The TxHIMA Board will make the final decision for awarding the scholarship. The Board of Directors has the right to reject any and all applications for scholarships at their sole and absolute discretion. Award of the TxHIMA Evelyn L. Cockrell Memorial Scholarship Award will be made at the TxHIMA Annual Meeting.
Application Period: Applications open January 1st of each year and will be posted to the TxHIMA website and emailed to AHIMA / TxHIMA Members.
Application Deadline: All nominations must be submitted by April 25th, in order to be considered for the current year's award. Any applications received after that date will not be considered.